Tuesday, October 25, 2016

HOMEMADE WOOD PRIVACY SCREENS


In the last few of weeks we have been trying to finish some outdoor projects now that the weather is not so hot.
If you live in Texas, you know exactly what I mean.
We really want to have these projects done before the winter months arrive. 

Lately, our neighborhood has been under construction. Lots of new homes are getting built.
I don't know if it is the fact that we got used to have just empty lots around us, but as soon as those home started 
to go up, we felt the need to add a little "privacy" to our back porch.

One day while browsing on Pinterest I came across this beautiful porch with wooden screens.
And since I don't like to put on my blog pictures that don't belong to me, you can view that pin here
We both loved this look, so my husband got to work and recreated the same kind of screens.



But before we made the screens, we finished off the railing on the porch to match the rest of the deck.

 
 This is what it looked like before.


 My husband worked hard building the screens.
It was not as easy as it looks and more than once I thought he was going to throw them out the window LOL 
but, little by little they came together.




When it was all said and done, we painted them the same color as the siding of our home, Natural Beige by SW.


 It took us close to six hours to install them.
They are very heavy and it was just the two of us doing the job. Trying to center them was the hardest thing 
and being on top of the ladder for me was NO fun. 
I don't like ladders.


But we just love the way they look! It gave the porch such a cozy feeling.



 I even love how they look when the sun goes down.




And I got so excited about my new screens, I decided to redecorate the whole porch and make new outdoor curtains. 
I gave the porch a new Fall look. Here is a little sneak peek.


 And that is it. What do you think?
I will be back soon to share the rest of the porch decorated for Fall. Meanwhile, I hope you have a wonderful day 
and thank you so much for your visit.
XXX





22 comments:

  1. I love these! It's really neat because they look like they're kind of floating the way you hung them. Very nice! I like how you hung the wreath on them too. Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow... it is amazing how cozy the panels made the space feel. They look like "high end" decorating! Good job!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marybeth! They were not easy to make, but worth it. I also love how they finished up the porch. Have a wonderful day! Maria

      Delete
  3. Beautiful work and that gives you more privacy as well! Did you had to special order these panels?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you look at the pictures and explanations you will find the answer to your questions,
      Maria was very thorough.

      Delete
  4. Hi Maria Elena, LOVE your screens. They look so good and add so much charm to the space while privacy too. Your hubby did a great job. Love your outdoor space. Just beautiful. Have a great week and enjoy our pretty Texas weather!xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous! What a beautiful view you have created for yourself. Isn't it great to have a handy hubby? We dream and they make it come true.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, Celestina! Thank you for your visit and your wonderful comment. We are loving our new screens!
    Take care, Maria

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! That was a LOT of work! I can tell by the intricacy of the panels. He did a fabulous job building them. Sometimes the installation is the worst part of a whole process, isn't it? BUT---it is SO worth it-They look wonderful and really do give you some privacy. We can't have hanging curtains outside here by the bay--even with exterminating they would be FULL of spiders....ugh! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  8. They look amazing and give you privacy without being overdone.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my goodness I am so impressed with you two! You really are good DIY'rs! Those look fantastic and I love how you mounted them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Maria Elena,
    LOVE the look and the privacy your wood privacy screens give, dear friend!
    The openness still allowing the breeze to come through is quite appealing!
    We have such high winds here on the Prairie, but I see that they are secured at the top and the bottom!
    Your porch railings are stunning!
    Your husband is extremely talented and patient!
    Nicely done!
    Fondly,
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Pat! We also get those high winds here so we installed eight inch screws on the top to prevent them from ever going anywhere. Thank you for stopping by!

      Delete
  11. The panels look great! I hate ladders too so I appreciate your efforts all the more. Love the wreath on the front of one and can't wait to see more.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this , it's so cool 😎 my only concern is ,do the panels sway at all ? how does it withstand high winds? Iwould think over time the winds would pull the hardware out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! No chance of these panels going anywhere. We installed them using 8 inch eyehook screws that go up right into the frame of the porch. We had several huge storms coming through our city and the screens have not moved at all.

      Delete
  13. These are Beautiful. They really are a high end project. Well Done!
    AuntSue

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello - wow so nice... I see you have a covered patio like we do. What did you use to hang your curtains with? What are the type of rods you used? And what kind of curtains did you use? Do you find the curtains blow around a lot? Thank you! Great job you two. It looks so inviting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! We used metal rods that we cut to size and sprayed painted. It is the only thing we could find to fit our very large porch. The curtains I made myself. They are regular drop cloth that you can find at home depot or Lowe's. Mine are 6 x 9. I used rope or chain to hold them when it gets windy, otherwise, they stay in place.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...